How Can I Become A Member?
At Ovilla Road Baptist Church, we believe that God expects believers to join a local church, through which they develop Christian relationships and use their gifts to build the body. A summary of the biblical arguments are listed below. This is not an exhaustive list, but each of the 6 points listed helps illuminate our case for biblical regenerate church membership:
A Biblical Case for Church Membership
- Those who followed Jesus were baptized and identified themselves with local believers, (Acts 2:41);
- The church is a body, and there cannot be a body without members, (1 Corinthians 12:27);
- Jesus loved the church and gave himself for it; believers must be equally committed to the church, (Ephesians 5:25);
- The church must regularly gather together, (Hebrews 10:25);
- Scriptures that address pastoral leadership and oversight imply a recognized congregation, (1 Timothy 3:5; Hebrews 13:17);
- Scriptures that speak of church discipline suggest some type of formal list or association, (Matthew 18:15-17; 1 Corinthians 5:11-13).
Qualifications for Membership
- A personal commitment of faith in Jesus Christ for salvation
- Baptism by immersion as a testimony of salvation
- Completion of the membership class or interview with pastoral staff/Elder
- A commitment to abide by the Church Covenant